Tuesday 13 September 2011

Cheeky card charges from easyJet

Mercifully, it's been a while since my last easyJet flight, but I just booked with them again for a trip to Portugal. At the final stage in the process, I was confronted with this:



Not very nice, but hey, nobody was holding a gun to my head.

Apparently the Office of Fair Trading wasn't content to leave it to the free market to punish such tactics:
Travel companies have been ordered to end the use of hidden surcharges for passengers paying by card.

Airline, ferry and rail passengers typically have to click through four to six pages of an online booking before the charge is added to the price.

Now the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has ordered them to make all debit or credit card charges clear immediately.

It also wants the law changed to abolish altogether charges for using debit cards.
Much as I may prefer this, it's not the sort of restriction I can condone.

No comments:

Post a Comment