Tuesday 14 February 2012

A Valentine's Day message from nanny

Another excellent post from Christopher Snowdon:
In these times of austerity, with Greece in flames and the UK in mind-boggling debt, it's reassuring to know that the Department of Health still has money for crucial, front-line services such as commissioning surveys about who people want to kiss.
To boost your chances of dating success this Valentine's Day quit the fags, suggests a poll that shows smoking is one of the biggest turn-offs.

Three-quarters of people aged 18 to 24 said they would not kiss someone who had just smoked.

And half the 1,700 people surveyed for the Department of Health (DoH) said they would think twice about starting a serious relationship with a smoker.
I'm married and I hate young people so I have no dog in this fight, but is this really the best the DoH can do? This is just a reworking of the old "lips that touch liquor will never kiss mine" meme from the 19th century.

I don't care. Smokers can pair off with smokers and nonsmokers can pair off with nonsmokers. Kiss who you want. It's none of the Department of Health's business.
Like Snowdon, I'm old and married. I don't have any interest in the kissing habits of 18-24 year-olds ... and neither should the DoH. I'm a non-smoker, but I strongly resent this tax-funded hectoring.

Snowdon puts it better:
Is there no day of the year on which these inane, pontificating pricks can leave us alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment