Vote for party X and this will happen:
- You will work (if you work) for half the year for the government
- The government will take the fruits of your labour and give them to the least deserving people of the world, whether they be African dictators (to buy weapons to use against their people), domestic criminals (to buy weapons to use against you when they burgle your house) or busybodies (to equip them to interfere in your life).
- The government will believe that it knows what is best for you, despite being staffed by people every bit as prone to error as you are yourself.
- The government will continue to make you hated or ridiculed in the rest of the world (and expose your warriors to danger) by conducting itself as if a small island nation of no particular current consequence was morally superior to all others.
- Political games will be played at Westminster, while the laws are made by unelected men and women in Brussels.
- Most of our children will be tragically denied a decent education while one side of the House of Commons rails but does nothing and the other side stokes envy of the few who do what all decent parents would if they could only afford it
- Serious criminals will be glamourised, coddled and protected, while decent people will be criminalised to make them docile (and give the police some cheap wins).
- The government will get larger.
- The economy will rise and fall periodically, while the underlying trend in terms of the lifestyle an ordinary person's wage can buy continues downwards.
- Our leaders will try to bask in the reflected glory of our daughter civilisation in America, while the worst (and I fear the most) of us continue secretly to envy it and wish it ill.
Friday, 23 April 2010
The Last Ditch: Party X
Tom Paine has nicely expressed the disturbing oneness of the three main parties: